Saturday, October 3, 2015

Exclusive Interview with Allen Mackenzie of Fire House



Melvi - How did the band get their name? 
Allen - Our drummer, Michael Foster, came up with the name. You would have to ask him about its origins, lol!
Melvi - How would you describe your music for the public audience of they have never seen you guys before? Allen - Melodic, high energy rock, with a lot of soul and emotion.
Melvi - Thinking back to early childhood, what was your first experience with music for the first time like? What song do you remember most as a child? 
Allen - I discovered The Beatles at age 4, my parents tell me I used to run all over the house singing "She Loves You(Yeah Yeah Yeah)!
Melvi - As a child growing up, music sorrounds us; what type of music do you hear the most back then? How does it differ from what you listen to now? 
Allen - Music continually changes; I think this is a good thing. My favorite genre is progressive rock, bands like Yes, King Crimson, Marillion, Genesis, and similar bands that were very adventurous musically.
Melvi - What was the first song that you ever sang? How did it make you feel? 
Allen - That Beatles song I sang in my house as a kid. I felt twenty feet tall!
Melvi - What made you first realize you wanted to pursue a career in Music? 
Allen - Seeing The Beatles on television, right around the same age. I looked at both of my parents and said, "That's what I'm gonna do when I grow up!" And look what happened!
Melvi - How did you become involved in the type of music you play/sing now? 
Allen - In the early 80s the hard rock explosion was just beginning. I joined an Akron, OH based band called FOXX in '85 that was my first experience in hard rock and heavy metal. Foxx music is available at www.retrospectrecord­s.com.
Melvi - If you had to describe your music in three or four words, what would you call it? 
Allen - Powerful, energetic, fun, and loud!
Melvi - How long have you been performing live gigs? 
Allen - Since the age of 12. A VERY long time!
Melvi - Where did you meet your band and how long have you been together? 
Allen - I joined Fire House in October 2003, the band has been together since 1989.
Melvi - You have heard of the term " starving artists" before, how do you cope with major obstacles? 
Allen - With equal measures of humor and Guinness, lol! Just kidding, the best way to overcome major obstacles is to view them as challenges to be conquered. Nothing is impossible!
Melvi - Art and Music has an impact on both young and old. Everyone loves a celebrity, so what advice do you have for the youth of today? 
Allen - Stay focused on your art and creativity, and stay away from the distractions that have destroyed so many musicians(drug abuse, heavy alcohol consumption, etc.)
Melvi - What does your family think of your performance and do they support you? 
Allen - All of my family is extremely proud!
Melvi - Do you have your own favorite type of music and is it any different from what you play now? 
Allen - Progressive rock is my favorite genre, although FireHouse has displayed prog moments at times!
Melvi - Where do you think your largest fan base is located, and why? 
Allen - While we have fans all over the world, we've played to our biggest audiences in India and Southeast Asia. I think our music connects because the fans are as passionate as we are!
Melvi - As an artist, how would you define success? 
Allen - Being happy with who you are, as both an artist and as a human being.
Melvi - What did you do before you got into the music industry? 
Allen - I've been very lucky, I've always been a musician, but I served for six years in the U.S. Army, and did a few odd jobs as well.
Melvi - Does anyone in particular influence your musical talent? 
Allen - My bass hero is the late, great Chris Squire of the band Yes, but I've been influenced by so many great artists over the years.
Melvi - Just for fun.., Fill in the blanks: A. Without music, I would be unemployed! B. Music is nouri­shment for the soul. C. My music makes me feel f­ull of adrenaline! D. Support music because the world should never be without it.
Melvi - Please feel free to add any other information you want to share with readers. 
Allen - We want to extent our warm wishes for your success and thank you for the awesome time.

No comments:

Post a Comment